This week let’s dive into data, with our advanced analytics platform Campaygn®, to see how influencer marketing investments were smartly used during a time of crisis: the lockdown. Our proprietary technology, Campaygn®, is a powerful influencer analytics platform which helps brands dive into the deep data and analytics of influencers (more about the tool at the end of the article).
This research is focused on 75 influential brands in the Beauty, Fashion, and Jewelry sectors. The data has been gathered from 50,000 curated influencers profiles, with data refreshed daily via Instagram, Facebook, Youtube and TikTok. The analysis is based on brand’s mentions only, so it excludes any tags or hashtags not linked directly to the brand.
WINNERS FROM THE BEAUTY CATEGORY
#1 Glow Recipe
Korean indie brand Glow Recipe, founded by two skincare fanatics, Sarah Lee and Christine Chang, advocates for natural, gentle skincare products. The brand has seen a significant rise in earned media value since the start of Covid in China (January to Mid April) in comparison to the same period last year.
- EMV (€)+213% => 3x more than last year during the same period, from a total of 733,800€ EMV in 2019 in of 2,300,000€ EMV in 2020
- The number of influencers has doubled (+127%) => 52 influencers registered worldwide in 2019 vs 118 influencers in 2020
- Influencers’ frequency is very high (+95%) during the lockdown => from 170 posts in 2019 versus 332 posts in 2020 during the lockdown
Glow Time! Diversified masterclass & unexpectedness are magic words for instant hits.
Glow Recipe brings fun and unexpectedness in their products, but also in their communication during the lockdown. Whether you are looking to have your own solo self-care moment, or bond with friends over a masking session, Glow Recipe provides a variety of classes through IG Live, from illustration to meditation, to yoga, and chats (self-care tips, happy hours, cosmetic chemistry Q&A). Influencers are joining in on the effort during the lockdown with ASMR skin care tutorials, awakening the sensorial aspect of their products.
#2 L’Oréal Paris
Also a good example of great increase in influencers publications during the lockdown.
- EMV (€) +184% => 2.8 times more than last year during the same period
- The number of influencers has doubled (+272%) => 106 influencers registered worldwide in 2019 vs 394 influencers in 2020
- Influencers publications are really active (+245%) => from 184 posts in 2019 to 635 posts in 2020 during the lockdown
L’Oréal Paris invites its customers to experience makeup and hair color in a virtual way, by shopping from home so every woman can find her look with her own statement color.
A local initiative has been launched in Thailand during the lockdown: #StayWorthIT with two macro-influencers, Davikah (10.9M followers) and Araya Alberta Hargate (9.6M followers) invited their communities to “AR Try-On” the 12 on-trend shades of the latest Rouge Signature Mate.
A reach of over 4M, 6.1M impressions and 68.6K interactions from just two posts for a viral exposure during the quarantine.
Pioneer of the indie brand rise, Glossier’s popularity is largely due to the reputation of Into The Gloss and its founder Emily Weiss. Known for its millennial-focused marketing, digital branding, sleek & thoughtful packaging design and empowering spirit are the real secret to Glossier’s fame. Following the success story, Glossier has seen a strong increase in earned media value during the lockdown compared to the same period last year.
- EMV (€)+153% => 1.5 times more than last year during the same period, being 1,700,000€ in 2019 and 4,300,000€ in 2020
- The number of Influencers increases +31% => 291 influencers registered worldwide in 2019 vs 381 influencers in 2020
- Influencers posting is active +46% => from 553 posts in 2019 to 807 posts in 2020 during the lockdown
Credit: @emilieweiss (CEO, Founder of Glossier)
Loving is caring, how Glossier shows its sanitary support
In April, Glossier launched a hand cream for medical staff. Understandably, hand cream is among the most-requested beauty product for nurses. The brand created its first-ever hand cream and donated 10,000 tubes to the health-care workers most in need. Emily Weiss re-posted stories on her personal account of the nurses gratefully thanking the brand. In this way, Glossier is strongly incarnated, empathic, and consumer-centric. This is an audacious strategy that also demands tremendous effort during the crisis.
#4 Summer Fridays
The direct to consumer skincare brand was an instant hit with its social first strategy. The founders, Marianna Hewitt and business partner Lauren Gores, are taking their social media knowhow and parlaying it into their flourishing business. The key ingredients for a successful strategy during the lockdown: the power of community. Active product seeding and re-posting brings a lot of exposure, when people are more than ever connected.
- The number of influencers is significantly increasing +173% => 45 influencers registered worldwide in 2019 vs 123 influencers in 2020
- Influencers posting is highly active +178% => from 78 posts in 2019 to 217 posts in 2020 during the lockdown
People first, the Do It Yourself way
“As bloggers and influencers we know what it’s like to get packages with so many things that you feel overwhelmed. It’s too much stuff…I don’t know what to do with it [all]” — Marianna Hewitt, WWD
What’s the best way to cheer up your influencer crew during self-quarantine? Make them feel comfy at home, and become their close friend. That’s how Summer Fridays twisted their product seeding, by providing a delicious Pizza Kit from @robertaspizza. Simply unexpected, useful and shareable!
WINNERS FROM THE FASHION CATEGORY
As we saw on Ykone’s previous article about Brands & Covid, Jacquemus’ exposure is at the top, with its creative initiative #jacquemusathome involving both influencers and consumers to co-create with the brand. He is now offering fashion and cooking classes on Instagram, the best channel to build solidarity during the crises and share his talented skills.
- EMV(€) +243% => 3.4x more than last year during the same period, from a total 11,600,000€ of EMV in 2019 in 39,800,000€ of EMV in 2020
- The number of influencers is increasing (+81%) => 565 influencers registered worldwide in 2019 vs 1020 influencers in 2020
- Influencers’ posts are active (+56%) during the lockdown => from 1500 posts in 2019 versus 2333 posts in 2020 since the start of lockdown in China
ROTATE Birger Christensen is a Copenhagen-based brand, established in 2018 by Birger Christensen in partnership with stylists and influencers, Jeanette Madsen and Thora Valdimars.
- EMV(€) +157% => 2.5x more than last year during the same period, from a total 934,200€ of EMV in 2019 to 2,400,000€ of EMV in 2020 during the lockdown period
- The number of influencers is strongly increasing (+123%) => 77 influencers registered worldwide in 2019 vs 172 influencers in 2020 since the start of lockdown in China
- Influencers’ publications are highly active(+162%) => from 193 posts in 2019 versus 505 posts in 2020
The new invite-only e-commerce platform, Vasquiat, created by trendsetter Blanca Mirò, offers a live showroom experience and access to next season collections before they are released, exclusive for club members. That means pre-ordering comes with benefits from competitive prices, and a more conscious production chain.
- The number of influencers is skyrocketing (+333%)
- Influencers publications are highly active (+194%) during the start of lockdown in China => from 17 posts in 2019 vs 50 posts in 2020
- EMV(€) +49% than last year during the same period => from a total 60,200€ of EMV in 2019 in 89,800€ of EMV in 2020 during the lockdown period
Preparing post Covid with pre-orders and special offers
VASQUIAT is the only platform that gives you exclusive early access to shop the latest collections at a members-only price.
Blanca Mirò is using her own account and also other top influencers’ communities to benefit from exceptional offers and pre-orders. This strategy is a great example of how to efficiently use a calm time period when people are craving online shopping.
WINNERS FROM THE JEWELRY CATEGORY
#1 Ana Luisa
Ana Luisa is an online designer jewelry club that creates high quality, sustainable pieces that you can wear for your day-to-day errands.
- EMV(€) +222% => 3;3x more than last year during the same period, from a total 223,400€of EMV in 2019 in 719,900€ of EMV in 2020 during the lockdown period
- The number of Influencers is 8 times more than last year (+837%) => 19 influencers registered worldwide in 2019 vs 178 influencers in 2020
- Influencers publications are highly active (+771%) during the beginning of lockdown => from 45 posts in 2019 versus 392 posts in 2020
The Toronto-based fine jewelry brand Mejuri, founded by Sakkijha and her husband, is the new millennial jewelry with a “direct to consumer” business, focusing on exclusively online purchases.
- EMV(€) +288% => nearly 4x more than last year during the same period, from a total 437,600€ of EMV in 2019 in 1,700,000€ of EMV in 2020 during the lockdown period
- The number of influencers has doubled (+185%) => 80 influencers registered worldwide in 2019 vs 228 influencers in 2020
- Influencers’ publications are very active (+223%) during the beginning of lockdown => from 155 posts in 2019 versus 501 posts in 2020 at the same period
Incarnate your products, in different ways
Mejuri encourages everyone to incarnate the brand: takeovers made by employees to show their daily routine, influencer fitness classes or even interactive makeup looks while wearing the product and driving to the Instagram boutique.
In addition, the brand launched the #rotatebookclub during quarantine, where consumers share what they’re readying while showcasing their favorite pieces of jewelry. Product seeding are also more active than ever.
Mejuri invites its ambassadors to create a nice composition, combining a piece of Mejuri jewelry with objects from their home (decor, flowers, …). Here, both consumers and influencers co-create for the brand, nourishing their own feed with reposts.
- EMV(€) +256% => 3.5x more than last year during the same period, from a total 2,500,000€ of EMV in 2019 in 8,900,000€ of EMV in 2020 during the lockdown period
- The number of Influencers is 1.7 times more important than last year (+143%) => 46 influencers registered worldwide in 2019 vs 112 influencers in 2020
- Influencers publications are 4 times more active (+434%) => from 79 posts in 2019 versus 422 posts in 2020 at the same period
Raise your voice for a cause and fight for it
Pomellato and Dodo take a stand against domestic violence with a 100,000€ donation and crowdfunding initiative to benefit women victims of abuse and domestic violence during the lockdown. #PomellatoForWomen (#YouAreNotAlone) campaign has gone viral: 161 influencers from all around the globe are raising their voice, more than 500 pieces of content produced (testimonials, call to action..), nearly 150M of impressions, and 11.3M interactions. Lili Reinhart, Chiara Ferragni, Joey King, Rosie Huntington, Rebel Wilson and other key opinion leaders offered their support.
Incarnation and agility brings advocacy
After a deep analysis of the results from one year to another, during the lockdown period, the observation is as clear as water. We can see a significant decrease in influencer publications for established luxury brands that are centralizing communication on their own social networks for more control. On the contrary, agile and empathic indie brands are building bridges with their communities and ambassadors. They bring their own contributions to the brand, which generates a strong sense of belonging and increases advocacy.
Learn more about the analysis methodology
Our data comes from Campaygn®, an influencer marketing platforms that helps brands and agencies to:
- IDENTIFY: match location, gender, topics, metrics and audience stats to find the perfect match.
- VET: check influencer profiles in a glance with valued data such as followers growth rate, demographic details, “inactive” followers score and topics of interest
- MONITORS: track all the content from influencer activation (including IG stories), measure ROI and extract automatic report
- RANK: compare brand performance vs competitors with dynamic leaderboards based on defined KPIs, it is this feature that we used for our analysis
The methodology here is key to understand the analytics journey to those insightful responses shared in the article today. We analyzed 3 KPIs: earned media value, number of influencers and number of posts.
First Step: create the dynamic leaderboard on Campaygn
In order to rank brand performance per category (Fashion, Beauty, Jewelry) according to the KPIs
Second Step: identify and analyze the strongest data variations on a larger scale
Comparing Period 1, Period 2, from 2019 to 2020, allows you to instantly see the successful results from a brand to another in terms of earned media value (EMV), number of influencers, number of posts mentioning the brand, and the evolution.